Re: LYNX-DEV Question about BASE implementation

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Question about BASE implementation
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 14:02:36 -0500 (EST)

Al Gilman <address@hidden> wrote:
>  From: Foteos Macrides <address@hidden>
>
>       I think that the number of people using Lynx because they have no
>  GUI alternative is steadily declining, and the number of people using it for
>  speed when they're after just content is increasing.  The latter reflects
>  failure of the GUI developers to set up efficient "text only" modes for
>  their clients, which presumeably will come when the glitz fads become old
>  hat.
>
>Those market share trends -- agree.  However there's not too much
>Lou Montulli &Friends writing the GUI browsers can do to catch
>their effective speed up to Lynx, so long as they sit at the end
>of a NetConnection by PPP at 28.8 Kbps.  Lynx just sits closer to
>where the packets fly.  Yasha pointed that out aeons ago.  This
>is why Clinton &Friends are pouring your tax $$ into hastening
>the day of the gigabit onramp.  Uncle Bill (Gates) wants it that
>way.  After all, what's good for <strikeout>GM</strikeout>
><insert>MicroSoft</insert> is good for America, right?

        It's claimed that fast, efficient GUI strip-downs will be
made available.  That's important for MicroSoft.  For example,
almost everybody here has a reasonably powerful PC with Windows95,
and Explorer, but installed Netscape because they equate that with
"graphic Web browser", and unless you tell them, may not even know
that the Explorer they got is that too (it's just something they
got with the system and haven't read about yet 8-).  But they
complain about the slowness of their Netscape even with glitz
handling turned off, and if they were told they could use a
"mini-Explorer" that way, with speed close to that of Lynx, they
probably would.  Then they'd probably explore the "glitz-Explorer",
as well.

                                Fote