Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx slang vs (n)curses

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx slang vs (n)curses
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 15:11:48 -0500 (EST)

>What is the benefit of using slang for Lynx over ncurses?  Are there any
>Lynx benefits (memory, speed), or is it just a case of which package you
>find easier to get installed on your system?

        For the vanilla releases, slang allows you to use color and
ncurses doesn't, yet.  The RP code adds color support for ncurses,
and makes it more flexible for both ncurses and slang.

        I've always had a "colorized" Lynx, but it's done external
to Lynx, via my terminal emulator.  I have a black background with
easy-on-eyes grass-green normal text.  Underlining is not underlined,
but instead an ever-so-lovely sky-blue.  Bold is a bright-but-pleasant
off-yellow.  Reverse is a spiffy-magenta background with light-grey
letters.

        It's been that way for me since the original Lynx. :) :)

        Everything I use with a VTxxx emulator, CSwing, my text editor,
most, etc., is "colorized" in that lovely way. :) :)

        I don't think there's any appreciable memory or speed difference
with ncurses versus slang.

                                Fote