LYNX-DEV DOS, DOS and Windows

From: Wayne Buttles
Subject: LYNX-DEV DOS, DOS and Windows
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 17:23:19 -0400

Just a little fodder for the browser.org platforms page.
<http://www.nyu.edu/pages/wsn/subir/lynx/platforms.html>

From my limited understanding of compilers, a true plain DOS port of the
current Lynx2-6 is not
possible because some of the obj files generated are bigger than 64k.  If Lynx
were restructured
there might be a chance, but a drastic change would take some co-ordination
among the masses.  It
also generates a very big image--maybe too big to run on a low end machine
without optimizations.
Much of the Lynx code compiles well with Borland C 3.1 and 4.5 and works with
PDCURSES 2.2 (not sure
about S-lang), although there are some definate problems with pointers as well
as 16bit integers.

If people have questions about current and future versions of Lynx for DOS they
can contact me, but
if it is just configurations questions then they should be sent to the
doslynx-dev list mentioned on
the platform page.

A DOS 386 port should be feasable including integration into the mainstream
source.  The first
choice would be djgpp, S-lang and wattcp.  In fact, there is someone working on
it:
http://lynx.cc.ukans.edu/lynx-dev/9610/0324.html

I compiled some of the Lynx2-6 code in Win32 console mode as a test in Borland
C 4.5.  Most of the
code is compiler compatable, the tricks will just be the platform independent
stuff.  IMHO, this
code especially should be an official port because there will be people trying
to use it in a
multi-user environment and security will be needed.  I did not pursue this
project, it was just a
test after Lynx2-6 failed to compile for plain DOS.

Thats it for now.
Wayne
;
;