Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx slang vs (n)curses

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx slang vs (n)curses
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 18:26:09 -0500 (EST)

Rob Partington - Admin <address@hidden> wrote:
>My code doesn't add color support for ncurses the same as the vanilla
>slang version does - it provides for color styles (IMO more powerful than
>the vanilla slang version).  The vanilla slang color support is trickery -
>underline is mapped to color 1, bold to color 2, underline+bold to 3 etc.

        I presume the colorization and styling will work the same
when the RP code is compiled and linked with either ncurses or slang,
not the nicer, new way with ncurses, and the not as nice, old way
with slang.  Is that right?

>I think slang is heavily optimised for VTxxx/PC type terminals - I've
>certainly written programs which are much faster at screen updates using
>slang than using ncurses.  But that's under Linux - under something more
>esoteric(!) it may be the other way around.

        Is that true with the FANCY_CURSES Unix curses libraries
such as ncurses?  There's no performance difference with the VMS
curses libraries (which are "fancy") versus slang, but then again,
those also are optimized for VTxxx terminals, and are really using
the native SMG$ system services.

                                Fote