Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx slang vs (n)curses

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx slang vs (n)curses
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 17:15:38 +0900 (JST)

> What is the benefit of using slang for Lynx over ncurses?  Are there any

If you do a vanilla with slang you can force escape codes for color by
adding the command line switch -color.  With vanilla ncurses, you cannot
get color 'automatically'.  If your terminal actually can handle colors,
but you cannot set your terminal emulator, forcing colors on is VERY nice.
BUT if in fact your terminal cannot handle colors it is a nightmare to
say the least to have unwanted escape codes messing things up.

Afaik, you can set six combinations of fore/background colors with slang.
That is done in lynx.cfg.  Colors #3 and #7 do not seem to work, but 6
combinations is really enough.  See the archives for what color does what.

With my personal lynx I use slang because it is infinitely easier on the
eyes and nerves, and I must say MUCH more soothing than IE or NS.  For
the public access lynx here, I run an ncurses lynx patched for
color so that people can choose if they want color or not.  Slang with
colors forced on is not an option when you don't know the terminal.

With Rob's styles (character enhancement) code, you can get color using
ncurses.  The trick here is that your terminal emulation defined in terminfo
(or termcap) will have to have defines for color.  If you're lucky to have
a terminal description file made for your (e.g., `linux', `ansi') terminal,
you can get color no sweat.  The problem is, if your terminal is not
supported you have to write a custom terminfo file, which seems to be an art
in itself, IMHO.

I find a slight advantage of slang over ncurses-patched as far as the
size of the binary,
        sun4-slang:   606208 bytes  versus
        sun4-ncurses: 679936 bytes.

If anyone knows of or has a list of color-supporting terminfo files in
the database (http://www.ccil.org/~esr/terminfo/termtypes.ti.gz), I'd
appreciate your forwarding that information to me.  Thanks.

__Henry
;
;