LYNX-DEV inews compilation error

From: Christopher R. Maden
Subject: LYNX-DEV inews compilation error
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 23:02:58 GMT

I finally downloaded Lynx 2.6 so that maybe I can fix my socket
problem and maybe help out with tables.

Trying to compile inews for Solaris 2.4, as per step 1e of
INSTALLATION, I ran into a problem.  I am not very experienced with C
compilers, and would appreciate any help.

Initially, I was using cc as in the Makefile by default.  I got this
helpful info:

cc -O -DFOR_NN -I.. -I../conf  -c  clientlib.c
"/usr/include/sys/socket.h", line 143: syntax error before or at: u_short
"/usr/include/sys/socket.h", line 143: cannot recover from previous errors
cc: acomp failed for clientlib.c
*** Error code 2
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `clientlib.o'

I changed the Makefile to use gcc -Wall for more info, and got this:

gcc -Wall -O -DFOR_NN -I.. -I../conf  -c  clientlib.c
In file included from clientlib.c:14:
conf.h:99: warning: `/*' within comment
In file included from clientlib.c:25:
/usr/include/sys/socket.h:143: parse error before `u_short'
/usr/include/sys/socket.h:143: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
/usr/include/sys/socket.h:145: parse error before `}'
[...]
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `clientlib.o'

My socket.h is the same as the ones on other Solaris systems I've
checked, and I don't think the error is actually in there, but in one
of the other files referenced by clientlib.c.  I just can't for the
life of me figure out which one.

Can anyone help out?  Or should I just ignore inews and get on with my
LynxLife?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
--
<!NOTATION SGML.Geek PUBLIC "-//GCA//NOTATION SGML Geek//EN">
<!ENTITY crism PUBLIC "-//EBT//NONSGML Christopher R. Maden//EN" SYSTEM