Re: LYNX-DEV blank page with 2.6

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV blank page with 2.6
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 19:34:36 -0500 (EST)

Doug Lawson <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Tom Hall wrote:
>
>> The URL http://world.compuserve.com comes up blank on:
>>   Lynx 2.6 on SunOS.
>>   Lynx 2.6 (compiled for SunOS) on Solaris.
>>   Lynx 2.4 on SunOS.
>> but on Lynx 2.4 compiled for Solaris, it works OK.
>>
>> If I type the SOURCE key, I see the source in all cases.
>> Can anyone else see this URL with 2.6 ?
>
>I got it just fine with lynx2.6 (stock distribution; no patches) on
>solaris 2.5.

        Since there were several replies to this which continued the
assumption that this might be a platform/flavor issue, let me stress
that it is entirely a configuration issue on any platform/flavor.
If is configured to use "valid" comment parsing, that entire document
is an unended comment, and thus not displayed.

        The strong recommendation in lynx.cfg is to configure Lynx
for "minimal" (invalid, Netscape-emulation) comment parsing. The
"historical" comment parsing is too lax (emulates Netscape v1.x),
in that Netscape "fixed" its comment parsing in v2.0, but regrettably,
didn't bother to understand what a real "fix" would be.  Sigh...

                                Fote