Re: LYNX-DEV lynx -

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx -
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 13:33:23 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 26 Oct 1996, Sven Guckes wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am trying to use lynx as a filter to produce a text version of a HTML page.
> "lynx -help" tells me that I can specify the option "-"
>
>       $ lynx -help
>       USAGE: lynx [options] [file]
>       Options are:
>           -                receive the arguments from stdin (enclose
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>                            in double-quotes ("-") on VMS)

The arguments, not the contents of an HTML document.

[...]
> But I'd rather use the option "-".

It's not meant to do what you want it to do.

> So - how do I use lynx to dump a HTML page to a file?

On some systems (e.g. Linux), the following works:

cat /home/httpd-data/iso8859-1.html|lynx -dump -force_html /dev/fd/0

Or write a shell script that creates a temporary file and then -dumps
that.

  Klaus

;
;