Re: LYNX-DEV link error on Solaris

From: Subir Grewal
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV link error on Solaris
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 23:11:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Tom Hall wrote:

:On another topic, I am made to feel like (and have been called)
:a "Luddite" for using lynx in an environment where you can usually
:get access to a unix terminal running X.

My dictionary defines Luddite as "one of a group of early 19th century
English workmen destroying labour saving machinery as a protest; broadly:
one who is opposed to technological change".  I don't think either of
those applies to Lynx (though it is a labour saving device, and very
ergonomic too).  Lynx has been kept up with the current standards for
markup/delivery as far as the web (and indeed the internet in general) is
concerned.  Attempts have even been made to make Lynx comatible with what
passes for "the latest technology" when it comes to browsers.  Since GUI
browsers don't particularly appear to be labour saving and don't seem to
herald the advent of new technology, I can't see why Lynx users should be
characterized as Luddites.  I'd venture to say that it should be the other
way around, bad markup, bad ergonomics, bad design makes for more work and
should actually please the luddites.  After all, one has to spend much
more time looking for relevant material, performing tasks (and I know this
since we have a web-able database that I access via Lynx) and generally
exerting oneself to a greater degree.  Gee, seems to me the luddites are
in another camp ;~)

address@hidden * PGP * Blue-Ribbon * Lynx 2.6 * address@hidden
Those who can, do.  Those who can't, simulate.

;
;