Re: LYNX-DEV suspending lynx

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV suspending lynx
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 14:55:46 -0500 (EST)

Egor Egorov <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Sat, 26 Oct 1996, Hiram Lester, Jr. wrote:
>
>> > Suspend it by Control-Z - works just fine.
>> :) oops, typo.  Yes, I am using Control-Z and experiencing the problems I
>> mentioned. :(
>
>Yearh, I think, we need to hardcode some dirty thing like saving the current
>videobuffer in mem before suspending, so suspend mode has to be builtin in
>the lynx..

        I'm not sure what you are suggesting.  What's "built in"
to the Lynx "distribution" is this statement in the PROBLEMS file:

Lynx PROBLEMS file.

Ideally you would never have to read this, but inevitably problems
do arise.  As implementation and installation problems become known
they will be outlined in this file.

    Control-Z on Unix can cause aberrant behavior.  If you encounter
    problems, use -restrictions=suspend to disable it, and only '!'
    for escapes to shell (on VMS control-Z is unconditional 'Q'uit,
    with no attempt to suspend the Lynx process only temporarily).
[...]

        Anything that would involve any appreciable increase in
Lynx memory requirements is wise to think about from a cost/benefit
perspective.  If ^Z works for you, great!  If you experience aberrant
behavior, is the added functionality of ^Z, relative to the spawns to
shell ('!' with '$' a synonym on VMS) worth the cost?

        I didn't personally think that foreground/background hopping
was worth the cost on VMS, but have no idea what the cost would be
to make that reliable on Unix (or how to make it reliable 8-).

        Does it matter what Lynx is actually doing when you enter
^Z, or does it just work OK or not as a function of the Unix flavor?

                                Fote