Re: Guessing addresses (was: LYNX-DEV don't give a damn?)

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: Guessing addresses (was: LYNX-DEV don't give a damn?)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 12:50:56 -0500 (EST)

Klaus Weide <address@hidden> wrote:
>[...]
>BTW for URLs of the form http://www.xxx.yyy.zz/~user/something/more or
>http://www.xxx.yyy.zz/%7Euser/something/more the address
>address@hidden might be a more appropriate guess than address@hidden

        This seemed like a good idea, so I modified our code last night
to do that.  In testing it, I discovered that sending mail to
address@hidden via a guess for an http://www.wfbr.edu/~macrides/
file doesn't work.  Mail to our WebMaster account using our server's
alias doesn't work either.  Then I tried it for a variety of other
sites, that yieded, e.g., address@hidden or address@hidden
or address@hidden guesses, and have yet to hit on one that actually
works, i.e., the http server aliases aren't adequate host names for email
addresses at any sites I tried.  Sigh...

                                Fote