Re: Guessing addresses (was: LYNX-DEV don't give a damn?)

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: Guessing addresses (was: LYNX-DEV don't give a damn?)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 11:54:34 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Foteos Macrides wrote:

>       This seemed like a good idea, so I modified our code last night
> to do that.  In testing it, I discovered that sending mail to
> address@hidden via a guess for an http://www.wfbr.edu/~macrides/
>          ^^^                                    ^^^
> file doesn't work.  Mail to our WebMaster account using our server's
> alias doesn't work either.  Then I tried it for a variety of other
> sites, that yieded, e.g., address@hidden or address@hidden
> or address@hidden guesses, and have yet to hit on one that actually
> works, i.e., the http server aliases aren't adequate host names for email
> addresses at any sites I tried.  Sigh...

Yes, I ran into exactly this problem with the world.compuserve.com site
mentioned a few days ago.  My mail to address@hidden
bounced back last night after being undeliverable for three days.  The
address was actually address@hidden which was actually in the
document as a mailto: URL.  Perhaps the guessing routine should offer any
mailto: URL's found in the document as a first guess, and use the
webmaster address as a last resort.  I suppose it would either require
multiple prompts (i.e. "Use address@hidden [N]"  Answering no would show the
same prompt with the next address.).

The guessing order should be something like:

1. owner as defined in a link tag.
2. mailto: URL's in sequence through the document.
3. webmaster

Number 2 would be the pain in the butt to implement. :(  The only reason I
even suggest it is that it's nice to be able to send a comment from the
source which was one of the other mods made at the same time.  I'm sure #2
would be even MORE of a pain in the butt when viewing source. :/