Re: Guessing addresses (was: LYNX-DEV don't give a damn?)

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: Re: Guessing addresses (was: LYNX-DEV don't give a damn?)
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 12:03:37 -0700

Fote,

One thing I have found on our own site, where www.slcc.edu is an alias for
sol.slcc.edu, and webmaster is a mail alias for webadmin, that mail to
address@hidden works most of the time, but some machines, especially
the VAX that is a principal system here (it handles the email gateway between
our Novel network and groupwise, and the rest of the smtp world) will refuse
to talk to sol.slcc.edu when it contacts it as www.slcc.edu! From most places
on the internet, I can email address@hidden and it will get through,
but certain systems, when they contact www.slcc.edu via smtp and get a response
saying sol.slcc.edu will "hang up" with an error because they think they have
the wrong host. The exchange looks like:

Connected to www.slcc.edu:
>>> HELO sol.slcc.edu.
<<< 553 sol.slcc.edu. host name configuration error
554 <address@hidden>... Service unavailable

If this is what you were seeing when you tried address@hidden with
your patches, it may be a related problem. We have not determined a solution
here, but be aware that most UNIX systems I have tried DO NOT DO THIS. Our VAX
does, and since you have vaxen there, I thought it was worth mentioning.

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,