Re: Guessing addresses (was: LYNX-DEV don't give a damn?)

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: Guessing addresses (was: LYNX-DEV don't give a damn?)
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 18:05:47 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden (Scott McGee (Personal)) wrote:
>One thing I have found on our own site, where www.slcc.edu is an alias for
>sol.slcc.edu, and webmaster is a mail alias for webadmin, that mail to
>address@hidden works most of the time, but some machines, especially
>the VAX that is a principal system here (it handles the email gateway between
>our Novel network and groupwise, and the rest of the smtp world) will refuse
>to talk to sol.slcc.edu when it contacts it as www.slcc.edu! From most places
>on the internet, I can email address@hidden and it will get through,
>but certain systems, when they contact www.slcc.edu via smtp and get a response
>saying sol.slcc.edu will "hang up" with an error because they think they have
>the wrong host. The exchange looks like:
>
>Connected to www.slcc.edu:
><<< 553 sol.slcc.edu. host name configuration error
>554 <address@hidden>... Service unavailable
>
>If this is what you were seeing when you tried address@hidden with
>your patches, it may be a related problem. We have not determined a solution
>here, but be aware that most UNIX systems I have tried DO NOT DO THIS. Our VAX
>does, and since you have vaxen there, I thought it was worth mentioning.

        So do people want me to send Hiram the mods for using address@hidden
instead of address@hidden for  http://host/~user/  URLs?

        If MX records have been set for www.foo.dom to support a
address@hidden address, it'll probabaly work for user as
well, though not necessarily.  The code checks for a raw of hex
escaped '~', and uses what follow that up to the next slash, or
end of URL, instead of WebMaster.

        Hiram and Rob can work out how to get stuff I sent Hiram
into Rob's developmental code, since I'm presently using the
vanilla v2.6+Composite and doing our site's mods on that code.

                                Fote