Re: LYNX-DEV SSL Patch problem

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV SSL Patch problem
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 22:17:06 -0500 (EST)

ELCHONON EDELSON <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, Thom Hodge wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Chad Simmons wrote:
>>
>> > HI Im tring to compile lynx2-6 on linux 2.0.something with
>> > lynx2-6.1028.all I succesful patched the makefile. I got sslref2.0,
>> > RSAREF, and Libdes(I didnt compile them for 2 reasons a) I couldnt get it
>> > to compile, and b) lynx just needs the code to compile in right?) When I
>> > compile with 'make linux-ncurses' I get '/usr/i486-linux/bin/ld: cannot
>> > open -lssl: No such file or directory' This is supposted to be a flag
>> > right?
>> > Any help would be appriciated,
>> > Chad Simmons
>>
>> I had a similar problem with linux 1.3.20, and fixed it by replacing the
>> line
>>
>>      SSL_LIBS= -lssl -lcrypto
>>
>> with
>>
>>      SSL_LIBS= /usr/local/ssl/lib/libssl.a /usr/local/ssl/lib/libcryto.a
>>
>> in the lynx2-6/Makefile, where /usr/local/ssl/lib/ was the path to the SSL
>> libraries.
>>
>> Thom Hodge
>
>Err... correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me like this
>Mr. Simmons is saying that he DID NOT compile the ssl or des
>libraries, because  he seems to be under the impression that
>lynx only needs whatever include files and hooks are needed.
>
>You DO have to compile the libraries if you are trying to link
>to them, no?

        He's using the RSA encryption library and Netscape's SSL library,
instead of SSLeay.  I was also using (old versions of) those with my
original SSL support code, which Tom modified for SSLeay.  It just
so happens that today I finally got the SSLeay code and hacked it to
build with DECC on OpenVMS/AXP with MultiNet (just hacks to make it
work; it had been ported to work on OpenVMS with DECC and UCX by David
Jones for his http server, but had some problems for UCX, and more
serious ones for MultiNet).  So I got Tom's patches for SSLeay to
compare them which what I had originally.  The for-SSLeay patches
won't work with the RSA and Netscape libraries, at least, not the
old ones I had, due do differences in function names and details
of the handshaking.  I don't know if those have been changes in
newer RSA and Netscape libraries, but suspect Chad needs to get
the SSLeay code set.  There are links to it via the Lynx Enhanced
Pages.

        Note that Tom has made the ssl_handle and the CONNECT
variables globals in HTTP.c.  They shouldn't be, because HTLoadHTTP()
needs to be re-entrant, and we do re-enter it when getting MAPs from
different documents, and will someday for OBJECTs as well.  It's
OK for the handle to be a static global in HTAAUtils.c and HTNews.c
(though I had meant to change that, someday) because we'd free it
on every invokation of that code, and wouldn't have two calls to
the same functions in progress at the same time.

        Anyway, I have the SSLeay version working on VMS with MultiNet
and Lynx, though it's just at the "hack it to make it work" stage, not
clean and pretty yet.

        It addition to the URLs which were posted for testing https,
you can use Netscape's SSL news group for testing snews URLs:

        snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.security

                                Fote