Re: LYNX-DEV Optimizing relative URLs

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Optimizing relative URLs
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 07:57:08 -0500 (EST)

  From: David Woolley <address@hidden>

  >   It needn't affect dialup users, as there is nothing that says they
  >   can't run a local caching nameserver.  I've started doing this because
  >   nameservice is one of the most overloaded functions at my ISP.

[big snip]
  and then, as root, run named.  (I run it in the ppp-up script and kill it
            ^^^^^^^^ -- not in _my_ dialup shell login...
  in ppp-down, as it generates lots of log failure messages if left up.)

OK, so you are referring to those who run Lynx on their own Linux
or Un*x box with a dialup PPP connection.  That was not what I
imagined when you said "dialup user."  I thought "dialup user"
means someone like me who dials into a shell and runs Lynx there
-- but these users can't take this DNS caching dodge.

Al Gilman

;
;