Re: LYNX-DEV Re: is lynxrp.zip working /slang and color choices

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: is lynxrp.zip working /slang and color choices
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 16:50:18 -0500 (EST)

Klaus Weide <address@hidden> wrote:

>> [...]
>> [...]
>[Rob Partington:]
>> > Are you using GNU make?  If not, that might be the problem.
>>
>> No, I'm still using Sun's (wherever they ripped it off from).  If it is
>> dependent on what `make' you are using, then I couldn't recommend such
>> syntax in the Makefile because it will narrow the prospective user base.
>
>A specific make shouldn't be required to compile Lynx, unless that change
>would be of tremendous benefits (which I don't see).  But Rob may just
>not be aware of it when he uses GNU-make-only constructs in his code,
>so it would probably help if non-GNU-make folks could point out what
>exactly he should not use.

        Note, however, that an upgrade to the v5 W3C Reference Library
and it's use, now, of autoconf, in turn makes use of the GNU make a
requirement (or so the v5 Library's docs claim 8-).  The previous
K&Rizing, and use of platform/flavor #ifdef'ing, was geared toward
what we have now in Lynx -- attempted support for every platform/flavor's
native compiler and make (or .com's and/or MMS on VMS).

        The claim that such a change would "narrow the prospective user
base" needs to be understood, thought through, perhaps tested, overtly
(IMHO).  It had been by own assumption the previous time autoconfing
was proposed, but that was before the Reference Library developers
decided that "anybody" could get the GNU make, so the change won't
"narrow the prospective user base".  Which assumption is correct?

                                Fote