Re: LYNX-DEV Re: LYNX iso-8859-1 DGUX

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: LYNX iso-8859-1 DGUX
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 15:53:12 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Jason Baker wrote:

> In a previous missive, address@hidden wrote:
> >
> >I compiled lynx2-6 on DGUX(R4.11MU02) and the special iso-8859-1
> >characters are shown 'M-D' not 'D'.
> >
> >In the 'lynx -trace'-mode 'Ä' is converted to 'D'.

[The quoted lines above most likely don't show what was sent :)]

> I get this problem as well... terminal type is set to "xterm", but I
> also get it on vt100 dialups.  I always just ignored it, figuring I
> was the only one, or that was how Lynx decided to try to display that
> sort of thing....

There is no code in Lynx, AFAIK, that would do that sort of replacement.
Must be a "feature" of your curses or ncurses...

Lynx's -trace output doesn't go to the screen via curses functions, but
directly via fprintf to stderr.  Therefore the curses functions have no
chance to apply that "feature".

The slang output routines can do a similar, but different, replacement,
but that would use '^' and '~' prefixes, not 'M-'.

Maybe you'll just have to apply the right stty command, like `stty 8bit'
or whatever.  Your problems may also be realted to the fact that your
mail arrived here labelled as "charset=UNKNOWN-8BIT"...

   Klaus

;
;