LYNX-DEV Re: lynx 132 mode

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: lynx 132 mode
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 18:09:56 -0500 (EST)

Darin Reid <address@hidden> wrote to me instead of lynx-dev:
>Hi, is there anyway to force Lynx (2.6) to operate in 132 col mode?
>
>I used to log on to my vms account, do a set width 132, then rlogin
>to my AIX account and use lynx in 132 column mode (everything is formatted
>for 132 columns, centering, wrapping, etc).  I lost my VAX account,
>unfortunatley, so that method is out.
>
>I'm on a vt220, but if I set it to 132 colums, before starting lynx, the
>screen is 132, but lynx only uses the first 80 columns.
>
>As far as I know there is, nor has there ever been a Unix command to set the
>operating width of your vt terminal...

        Please use the address@hidden list for questions and discussion
about Lynx.  I am CCing this reply to the list.

        Lynx sizes the display based in the information it received about
your screen width and height.  On VMS, your account undoubtedly was doing
a SET TERM/INQUIRE to get it's information about your terminal from the
terminal itself, which is most likely to be accurate (except for people
using a crumby VTxxx emulator 8-).

        The way it's done on Unix is highly variable, and someone on
the list may have some good guesses about how you might help AIX to get
it right.

        You need not be subscribed to post messages to the list, and
you can read replies via the archive, accessible via the online 'h'elp.

                                Fote