Re: LYNX-DEV Re: downloading docs to local directory

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: downloading docs to local directory
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 17:46:16 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Foteos Macrides wrote:

> Klaus Weide <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >BTW defining SAVE_SPACE to some nonexisting directory would be a rather
> >inefficient way of preventing downloads...  I assume if that had been
> >the intention, the user would never see a download prompt.
>
>       No, temporary files are created in the system tmp or scratch
> space, and in the login directory if an fopen there fails.  That's
> not likely to fail unles there's a disk quota problem.

I should try to write more clearly...

What I meant was:

I assume that, if it _had_ been the intention (of the installer) to prevent
the user from downloading, (the installer would have had much better ways
to install Lynx with restrictions, and would have used those better ways,
so that) the user would never (even) see a download prompt.

I know that 'd'ownloaded files are first written to temporary files[1],
that's why I called a (hypothetical) way of preventing downloads by
"defining SAVE_SPACE to some nonexisting directory" an inefficient way...

  Klaus

[1] unless the fle to be 'd'ownloaded is a local file from a directory
    listing viewed with DIRED support enabled

;
;