Re: LYNX-DEV Re: is lynxrp.zip working /slang and color choices

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: is lynxrp.zip working /slang and color choices
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 18:08:16 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Foteos Macrides wrote:

>       Note, however, that an upgrade to the v5 W3C Reference Library
> and it's use, now, of autoconf, in turn makes use of the GNU make a
> requirement (or so the v5 Library's docs claim 8-).  The previous
> K&Rizing, and use of platform/flavor #ifdef'ing, was geared toward
> what we have now in Lynx -- attempted support for every platform/flavor's
> native compiler and make (or .com's and/or MMS on VMS).

Well, I'm not sure of specifics about the WWWlib/5, but the use of
autoconf, even to create makefiles, does not necessarily mean that GNU
Make must be used.  I've used make on the HP/9000's here to compile
several packages using autoconf, including several that have created their
own makefiles.  It's true that various makes support different options,
and GNU make supports many options not supported by others, but it seems
that autoconf will work with more than GNU make provided the make is
reasonable. :)