Re: LYNX-DEV downloading docs to local directory

From: ELCHONON EDELSON
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV downloading docs to local directory
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 22:07:41 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Klaus Weide wrote:

> > > just the current working directory when you execute lynx.  Is it possible
> > > that your admins have wrapped lynx in a script that does a cd?
> >
> > But how would that work?  If lynx always using the working directory of the
> > machine where it's started, then that directory will always exist.
>
> You're right - under the assumption that the user's interpretation
> ("directory ... which doesn't exist") was correct.  I was (implicitly)
> assuming that that wasn't really the case.
>
> Also, while a `cd' to a nonexistent directory would normally be
> prevented by the shell interpreting the script, explicitly setting
> the PWD (or pwd) variable right before starting Lynx should work just
> fine...
>
>    Klaus

I would point out here, that the current directory is NOT
dependent on that variable. the current directory is internal
to the shell, and the shell will not change to a nonexistant
directory simply because you set the PWD variable. To prove
this, create a temporary directory (say... "/tmp/foo"), cd to
that directory ("cd /tmp/foo"), copy some files into it,
("cp /usr/local/lib/man/mann ."), and then in ANOTHER WINDOW,
delete that directory. THEN, still in the other window, create
the same directory again. Now, go back to the first window and
try to locate the current directory. ("pwd", "ls -ald .")
You are in /tmp/foo, /tmp/foo exists, but you cant do diddly there.
Now, if this is different somewhere, tell me, but this is the
experience that I have had.

--Elchonon             0 0
|Elchonon Edelson      \_/                    <address@hidden> |
| Don't let people drive you crazy when you know it's in walking distance. |