Re: LYNX-DEV Re: is lynxrp.zip working /slang and color choices

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: is lynxrp.zip working /slang and color choices
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 21:33:24 -0800

Klaus Weide wrote:

> - supporting GNU make only
> - cleaning up platform-dependent #ifdef'ing and #including,
>   possibly with help of GNU autoconf
> - "to un-K&Rize or not to un-K&Rize?"
>
> are three different topics, and one doesn't force the others.
> At least in my understanding.
>
> >         It had been by own assumption the previous time autoconfing
> > was proposed, but that was before the Reference Library developers
> > decided that "anybody" could get the GNU make, so the change won't
> > "narrow the prospective user base".
>
> Sounds a bit like "Anybody could get Netscape Navigator or MSIE, so the
> change to use <insert favorite text-unfriendly HTML abomination of-the-week>
> won't narrow the prospective user base."  Maybe it sounds just like it on
> the surface, or maybe it actually has something to do with the mindset,
> sombody else figure it out..

I agree with Klaus.  Don't make Lynx dependent on external packages like
GNU make.  I'm not too happy with the trend towards depending on ncurses
and/or slang: many older Unixes have only a basic curses implementation
and may not be able to compile the latest & greatest.

Don't take the "retro" out of Lynx.  You'll be disenfranchising the
sorts of users who need it the most.

>Bela<
;
;