Re: LYNX-DEV downloading docs to local directory

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV downloading docs to local directory
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 15:36:57 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, Paul Gilmartin wrote:

> In a recent note, Klaus Weide said:
>
> > (I think your example actually showed that the per process working
> > directory of a process is tied to an inode, not a filename.  A shell
> > probably couldn't fork a child process with an invalid working directory
>
> OTOH:
>
> sanitas.pg{5} rmdir `pwd`

Now the inode is probably still there, with the disk block(s) that
contained the directory still allocated etc. (until no process
references it any more).  There just isn't any link to it, so it
cannot be opened for reading by, e.g., ls:

> sanitas.pg{6} ls
> . unreadable
> sanitas.pg{7} uname -a
> SunOS sanitas 4.1.3 1 sun4c

A more interesting experiment is to start Lynx at this point...

> sanitas.pg{8} exit
>
> > even if it wanted to.  But this doesn't have anything to do with
> > lynx-dev any more..)
> >
> Noted.
>
> :-)

I mentioned Lynx above (as a lame excuse to keep this thread going)

  Klaus

;
;