Re: LYNX-DEV Re: is lynxrp.zip working /slang and color choices

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: is lynxrp.zip working /slang and color choices
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 00:48:59 -0800

Rob Partington wrote:

> It's obviously quite difficult to do some things without GNU make - like
> my styles patch not working with non-GNU make.  I thought I was doing that
> in a standard make format, but obviously not.

I haven't tried your stuff yet, but I'm using a non-GNU make so I'll
surely run into whatever the problem is.

I doubt it's "hard to do" whatever you're doing with an old Unix make.
What's hard is to avoid introducing dependencies on your environment,
when that's all you have to test against.  This is a bugaboo for the
development of any software that is intended to work on a wide range of
platforms.  Over time you will learn what constructs won't work, and
avoid them.

> > Don't take the "retro" out of Lynx.  You'll be disenfranchising the
> > sorts of users who need it the most.
>
> Indeed - but we need to advance lynx as well.

Agreed.  Let's try to do so in an inclusive manner.

>Bela<
;
;