Re: LYNX-DEV Where is Zaire?

From: Duncan Hill
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Where is Zaire?
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 19:09:18 +0400 (GMT-4)

On Sat, 2 Nov 1996, Philip Webb wrote:

> impressed as i am by the erudition of lynx-dev subscribers,
> am i the only one around who hasn't yet learned all the terminology?
>
>   1  what is  linux ?

Linux is a free clone of the unix operating system.  It runs on Alphas,
PC's, and a bunch more.

>   2  what are  ncurses / slang ?

They are both ways of doing fancy things with the unix terminal.  Both
allow for coloured text, and other bits and pieces.

>   3  what is  SSL ?

SSL - Secure Sockets Layer.  You heard of the much hyped banking online?
This makes it work.  It's sorta like an encryption.

>   4  what is the difference between  gethostbyname  &  LYgethostbyname ?

The former is a unix/C function for working out the name of a computer on
the net (I think).  The latter is a Lynx module that does a similar thing.

>   5  what is  VMS ? -- presumably it has nothing to do with VM or CMS
>      (i seem to remember VAXes using something like it years ago).
>      no doubt it's irrelevant to ask why everyone doesn't use unix.

Thats right :>

> there is regularly expressed anguish at the fact that the terrible world
> out there doesn't know about lynx, doesn't write good code & is generally
> going to hell, BUT if lynx developers simply talk to one another in jargon
> with never a gesture -- eg  [for the rest of you, SSL is whateveritis]  --
> they really have only themselves to blame.

Umm..this is a developers list.  If you are going to read this, try to
know a bit.  If you don't, you ask right?  Like what you've done.  But,
this is primarily a developers list, not your average Joe Bloggs list.

> there are apparently people out there who read the washington post
> who need to be told "Zaire is a large country in Central Africa"
> & "It has been ruled with an iron hand for the past 30 yrs by Pres Mobutu":
> that's why the wp & other journals include a few such sentences
> in EVERY story they write about the latest from that unhappy place.

That really doesn't say much for those peoples education.  I've known
where Zaire was from about the age of 15 or so.

> but perhaps what's good enough for the washington post
> is not good enough for lynx-dev.

Duncan Hill