Re: LYNX-DEV SSLeay patch

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV SSLeay patch
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 1996 12:53:15 -0500 (EST)

Chad Simmons <address@hidden> wrote:
>All right it recompiles the www dir then goes to compile and link the lynx
>executable and I get
>../WWW/Library/unix/libwww.a(HTTCP.o): In function `HTDoConnect':
>HTTCP.o(.text+0x5da): undefined reference to `socks_flag'
>HTTCP.o(.text+0x5ee): undefined reference to `Rconnect'
>HTTCP.o(.text+0x6be): undefined reference to `socks_flag'
>HTTCP.o(.text+0x6dd): undefined reference to `Rselect'
>../WWW/Library/unix/libwww.a(HTTCP.o): In function `HTDoRead':
>HTTCP.o(.text+0x873): undefined reference to `socks_flag'
>HTTCP.o(.text+0x88c): undefined reference to `Rselect'
>Its under linux2.0.something

        There are no mods of HTTCP.c for the SSLeay-based hooks.
You must have included Tom's SOCKS patch, which is for HTTCP.c
and something went wrong.  Tom's "all" patch includes that, and
it's Makefile patch includes -DSOCKS since he uses a SOCKSified
Lynx, but it should be commented out in the patch, and perhaps
you are inadvertantly building a SOCKSified Lynx without system
support for it.

        The mods Tom intended for SOCKS are included in the
new Composite update, though I don't block the connect()
checks when the socks_flag isn't set, as Tom's current patch
still does.  I also sent Tom the code I used when switching
from the hooks for the RSA and Netscape SSL libraries to the
SSLeay libraries in our code set here.  I don't know if Hiram
or Tom will use what I sent them (since I'm on vacation and
not in charge 8-).

        Note also that I didn't include the fork-based DNS
lookups in the Composite update I sent them, because IMHO
it still needs work to be portable across all the flavors
of Unix Lynx seeks to support, so it seemed better to leave
it, for now, as a patch Tom still supports directly.

                                Fote