LYNX-DEV DNS fork patch portability

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: LYNX-DEV DNS fork patch portability
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 19:27:01 -0800

Foteos Macrides wrote:

>       Note also that I didn't include the fork-based DNS
> lookups in the Composite update I sent them, because IMHO
> it still needs work to be portable across all the flavors
> of Unix Lynx seeks to support, so it seemed better to leave
> it, for now, as a patch Tom still supports directly.

The DNS fork patch is nicely #ifdef'd.  Because of that, portability is
less of a concern.  I'd like to see [some form of] it put into the base
distribution, but disabled.  It's likely to get more testing that way.

The current patch doesn't work on SCO OpenServer.  I've got a fix for
that and will communicate it directly to Tom (for pre-testing to make
sure I haven't broken it on the original system it was written for...)
My fix causes it to use facilities that are already being used by the
rest of Lynx (select() instead of ioctl(FIONREAD)), so hopefully it'll
now work on any Unix variant that the rest of Lynx works on.  Possibly
even on VMS (we seem to be calling select() on VMS -- will fork() work
as expected?)

>Bela<
;
;