Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Multibookmark patch

From: Filip M Gieszczykiewicz
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Multibookmark patch
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 21:39:23 -0600 (CST)

You (Drazen Kacar) wrote:
> Filip M Gieszczykiewicz wrote:
> > Greetings. Sorry for taking this out of context. I was wondering:
> > since you did not object so strongly to my multi-bookmarks patch,
> > does that mean that there is even a small sliver of a chance that
> > it will make it into official release? I've used the current version
> > for a few weeks now and it appears to work well. Some people,
> > sys-admins included, complain that if it's not "official" they don't
> > want to apply it... so it would greatly help if it was, indeed,
> > official. Besides, as long as the user is "Novice" it works just
> > like it does now - even "Advanced" has that option... just has
> > some room for expansion.
>
> I've looked at the code two revisions ago and I don't know how it looks now,
> but here are my objections to that code:
>   - having number of multi bookmarks in #define is no good. You were just
>     dumping a menu on the screen regardless of screen size.
>   - there was no testing of screen width for printing out particular bookmark
>     definition. Just dumping it out and hoping that screen width is big
>     enough.
> There were some others, but I can't remember any more.

Greetings. First, I'd appreciate if you find the other problems you found.
Good point on #1. I don't check for rows - columns is auto, I guess. I
noticed that many of lynx'es internal screens don't handle low columns
well - see the options screen at 45 columns - the bottom line is chopped.
I'm not really sure if there is a solution - except maybe a dynamic,
multi-screen setup that would scale the options according to screen size.
That would be best but is beyond my C...

Your second point ... it appear that since I use the internal screen
output routines, it just chops it off at the columns... I don't check it
because neither does the "o"ptions menu... (I know, not an excuse - but
I learned lynx from example...)

I heard that I wasn't using the right color/bold as the rest of lynx...
could someone (who wrote that) let me know if they had figured out a
patch or should I look for it.

I also agree that there should be a better way to write the bookmark-
saving engine - I don't know enough and hence my hack. And I can't
live without it :-)

Take care.
;
;