Re: LYNX-DEV Bad bug in Lynx

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Bad bug in Lynx
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 19:50:18 -0800

Alan Rooks wrote:

> > !         /* These strings are used for printfs later */
> > !         memset(underscore_string, '.', sizeof underscore_string);
> > !         underscore_string[sizeof underscore_string - 1] = '\0';
> > !         memset(star_string, '.', sizeof star_string);
> > !         star_string[sizeof star_string - 1] = '\0';
>
> Right, except that you want to fill that star_string with '_', not '.'.

Argh.  Sloppy.  Sorry...

> Is there a reason why you used sizeof xxx_string, instead of
> sizeof xxx_string - 1, in the memset()'s?

It just felt more normal to stamp a value into an entire structure
rather than entire-structure-minus-one-byte.  You're right that the very
next thing we do overwrites that last byte, so it's wasted effort.  (If
someone later uses those statements as a template for something else,
and that something else *isn't* a null-terminated string, and if they're
as sloppy as I was in failing to change '.' to '_' in my second memset()
-- then it's better that they pick up a clear-the-entire-structure
statement...)

>Bela<
;
;