Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Multibookmark patch

From: Drazen Kacar
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Multibookmark patch
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 06:18:22 +0100 (MET)

Filip M Gieszczykiewicz wrote:

> Greetings. First, I'd appreciate if you find the other problems you found.

Okay, I'll try to grab the latest version tonight and see what I can find.

> Good point on #1. I don't check for rows - columns is auto, I guess. I
> noticed that many of lynx'es internal screens don't handle low columns
> well - see the options screen at 45 columns - the bottom line is chopped.
> I'm not really sure if there is a solution - except maybe a dynamic,
> multi-screen setup that would scale the options according to screen size.
> That would be best but is beyond my C...

I modified it to print the first n lines that would fit on screen and let
the user to select any of 26 bookmarks. This is still not good enough for
official distribution, but it's much better than having garbage on the screen.

> Your second point ... it appear that since I use the internal screen
> output routines, it just chops it off at the columns... I don't check it
> because neither does the "o"ptions menu... (I know, not an excuse - but
> I learned lynx from example...)

[I'm not checking the source but I think that] The Options menu expects 80
columns which may or may not be reasonable, but it won't output anything
wider than that. You are displaying path to bookmark file, which can be
pretty long. I think there's no Unix with this limit below 1K. Don't know
what's the editor's max string length.

Another thing (which is just a matter of opinion :) is that I strongly
dislike 'NOT DEFINED' things. When you start to use the patch, your screen is
full of it and it looks strange and frightening. I prefer empty string for
undefined entries.

> I also agree that there should be a better way to write the bookmark-
> saving engine - I don't know enough and hence my hack. And I can't
> live without it :-)

Everybody can participate in user interface discussion. Wishlist anyone?

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease.

address@hidden
address@hidden