Re: LYNX-DEV -dev != -programming

From: ELCHONON EDELSON
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV -dev != -programming
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 11:13:16 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 4 Nov 1996, Drazen Kacar wrote:

> Philip Webb wrote:

[snip SNIP snip]

> > the system i use is UNIX in the form of IRIX on an SGI machine.  recently
> > there was an appeal for help from someone who was trying to compile 2-6
> > in the same environment (i've kept the thread for reference): Hiram Lester
> > gave a very good & appropriate explanation at just the right level.
> > the problem? -- you've got to  make clean .  the point? -- it's NOT COVERED
> > in the installation guide.
> >
> > but surely EVERYBODY knows THAT! -- no: the vast majority of people
> > who may try to install 2-6 out there DON'T know that kind of thing
> > (i didn't, but do now), or at least can't be ASSUMED to know it.
> > that's just one of the still growing list of problems people are having
> > installing the latest official version of lynx.
>
> Now I need a clarification. Lynx runs on Unix and VMS. Both systems are
> supposed to have administrators. When I use the word 'installed' that means
> I made Lynx available to 8000 users. I'd use 'compiled' if it was on my
> private Linux (or whatever). Are you sure there is a large base of people
> who are not admins and who are trying to compile Lynx? Note that people
> who don't have problems don't post to lynx-dev just to let us know they
> made it.

I would have to say that the impression I get is that there are plenty
of people who are not admins who are trying to compile lynx. I know that
I myself fall into that category.

--Elchonon             0 0
|Elchonon Edelson      \_/                    <address@hidden> |
| Where is this asinine .sig file stored? I want to change the darn thing. |