Re: LYNX-DEV Re development vs. programming

From: Drazen Kacar
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re development vs. programming
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 17:17:09 +0100 (MET)

Daniel Strychalski wrote:

> The old distribution notes talked of installing Lynx (that is,
> uncompressing the binary) in one's home directory; evidently SOMEBODY
> thought this might be necessary for some people. Please, PLEASE make
> binaries available.

Binaries for Solaris, ULTRIX and OSF will probably be available from srce.hr
domain. I don't know if it's my job or not, but it falls under someone's
job description here and it will be done. I don't know how soon. The amount
of job is enormous and there is general shortage of people. I just took the
development of usable search service and it's a big problem if you're
doing it for the non Latin 1 world. The web just doesn't work. Lynx is a
shiny example because it can send Accept-language & Accept-charset headers.
This probably sounds esotheric, but it means that Lynx is the only browser
that can be supported in a way that everything works and all users has to know
is how to set terminal type.

Some other browsers can send those headers as well, but they are not being
used. They don't support the latest blink-like things, I suppose.

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease.

address@hidden
address@hidden