Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx bug -- relative paths in FTP

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx bug -- relative paths in FTP
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 11:29:05 -0600 (CST)

On 4 Nov 1996, Hrvoje Niksic wrote:

> I have found Lynx having problems when I specify a relative directory
> in FTP.  E.g. when trying to retrieve URL
> ftp://hniksic:address@hidden/c/
>
> lynx logs in to the server, and tries to CWD to /c, which is not
> compliant with RFC1738.  The relevant excerpt from the trace log
> follows:
>
> HTParse: aName:ftp://hniksic:address@hidden:21/c   relatedName:
> 1
> HTParse: result:/c
> HTFTP: UnEscaped /c
>   Tx: RETR /c
>     Rx: 550 /c: No such file OR directory.
>   Tx: CWD /c
>     Rx: 550 /c: No such file or directory.
>
> According to RFC1738, the default paths should be relative by default,
> and absolute if otherwise stated.  So the result from HTParse should
> have been `c', not `/c'.
>
> Here is the exact quote from RFC1738:  [snipped - kw]

That is a known (let's be neutral and say) property of Lynx and is
documented; see your local lynx_help directory, or
   Linkname: URL Schemes Supported in Lynx
          support.html

So far this deviation from the RFC in unix versions (and the inconsistency
between unix and VMS versions) has always been explained by referring to
a decision made by one of the original Lynx authors, eons ago... and the
Lynx code has kept faithful to that decison (for unix).

Maybe it is time for a change, but then you have to be prepared to argue
why such a change would not negatively affect users who may be relying
on the current (non-RFC-conforming) behavior (taking into account that
there already is a way to specify what you want, see references above).
And someone would have to volunteer to make all the necessary changes,
in a consistent manner.

   Klaus

;
;