Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Multibookmark patch

From: Filip M Gieszczykiewicz
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Multibookmark patch
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 14:31:51 -0600 (CST)

You (Drazen Kacar) wrote:
> I modified it to print the first n lines that would fit on screen and let
> the user to select any of 26 bookmarks. This is still not good enough for
> official distribution, but it's much better than having garbage on the screen.

Greetings. OK, I have it dynamically handle saving to bookmarks with
as little as 8 rows - it will show one line per "page"... I'm using
">" and "<" to move between screens. Anyone hyper about that? ;-)

I'll have to do something like that for editing screen as well... no,
I'm not good enough to do this in an OO fashion :-|

> > Your second point ... it appear that since I use the internal screen
> > output routines, it just chops it off at the columns... I don't check it
> > because neither does the "o"ptions menu... (I know, not an excuse - but
> > I learned lynx from example...)
>
> [I'm not checking the source but I think that] The Options menu expects 80
> columns which may or may not be reasonable, but it won't output anything
> wider than that. You are displaying path to bookmark file, which can be
> pretty long. I think there's no Unix with this limit below 1K. Don't know
> what's the editor's max string length.

How about, if the LYrows is less than can be used to display the path of
the bookmark, it just skips the path. That may prevent scrolling on some
terminals.... I think this is better than just making a blind restriction
of 80 columns... (especially if you run under xterm)

> Another thing (which is just a matter of opinion :) is that I strongly
> dislike 'NOT DEFINED' things. When you start to use the patch, your screen is
> full of it and it looks strange and frightening. I prefer empty string for
> undefined entries.

Done. It's blank now...

I'll test is more this time around... don't want it to crash. Let's just
say that it works "ok" when adding bookmarks using a 9(rows)x40(cols)
screen !!! When given too small screen - a nice message will pop up.
BUT, it will only disable your from listing the bookmarks - you can
STILL add them if you know the letter! (ok, that's probably psycho)

I'll have to look into the colors... I'm not sure what problems there
are... which makes fixing them a bit more challenging...

Take care.
;
;