Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx bug -- relative paths in FTP

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx bug -- relative paths in FTP
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 15:03:18 -0700

I guess it is time to throw in my own two cents worth on this issue. For me,
as a user and as an administrator, the current non-conformant method Lynx uses
in ftp URL's is a pain and an embarassment. I have to use Netscape and IE daily
as well as lynx. I also use ftp a lot. Every time I use lynx for ftp locations
in user accounts, I have to remember that it "does things differently". Also,
i have a hard time trying to explain why lynx is such a great tool when it
mucks up so badly here.

I have a suggestion. Maybe, like treatment of comments, the current behaviour
can be folded into a command-line switch with an options menu toggle to go with
it. Thus, those needing the historic behaviour can toggle into historic mode and
get it, but those prefering correct behaviour can have that too.

(It is really sad to pick on Netscape because of their comment handling and then
have someone point out Lynx's ftp handling!)

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,