Re: LYNX-DEV RFW: search service

From: Drazen Kacar
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV RFW: search service
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 08:45:46 +0100 (MET)

Klaus Weide wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Nov 1996, Drazen Kacar wrote:
>
> > I'll be building search engine for the small part of the net and I'd like to
>
> Which small part?

Croatia. Anything in .hr domain plus independent providers in the country,
like ring.net. And probably resources somehow related to Croatia all around.

> bonus points for pages with <LINK rev=made>.
> bonus points for pages which specify an explicit charset.
>       double if it comes in the HTTP headers, not just META.

Sometimes you can't do this. When you know that user agent can't handle
charset specification, but will produce correct output if the page comes
without that indication. But search service will come with harvest in
user-agent field and big accept-charset header. Should I say huge header? :)

> minus points for pages containing any IMG (etc.) without ALT.
> lotsa minus points for pages that start with a <!doctype HTML etc.>
>       and then don't validate against that.
> lotsa minus if a page contains any &#nnn; for 128 <= nnn < 160.
>       times three if they also specify a charset :)

If you specify charset, you can have printable characters in that range.

> Hope you can agree with these...

Yup. And FRAME alert would be nice. Java & SCRIPT things also come to mind.
And, of course, VirusX. :)

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease.

address@hidden