Re: LYNX-DEV Bookmarks - a better idea (?)

From: Walter Skorski
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Bookmarks - a better idea (?)
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 19:09:26 -0500 (EST)

Filip M Gie-what's-his-name ;-) wrote:

> Greetings. First off, you gotta know that I'm biased ;-)
>
> The problem with this approach is something that I was roasted for:
> you need to repaint the whole screen! On 1200 baud'ers that can be
> a pain in the butt. Unless you make that an "<ol></ol>" and allow
> people to save to number ## from the status line.

Well, there's no reason why we can't make it a config option...  I
like the way you tie it in with the User Mode, but I'd prefer a
separate setting, because I used Advanced mode all the time but would
prefer a full screen menu, because I'm not in a dialup situation
(hey, I can be biased, too!).  Of course, that'll have to wait for an
upgraded (roomier) options screen.  Oh well.

Audin Malmin replied:

> If you're using a decent curses package you'll only end up repainting part
> of the screen...

Yes, but a substantial part, because you're going from showing Page X
to showing Page (-book) and back to showing Page X.  Plus, assuming my
idea was implemented, you might need several redraws of half the
screen or more, one for each level down the hierarchy you go.  I do
see Filip's point, so...

How's about for SINGLE_LINE_BOOKMARK_ADD mode (currently known as
"Advanced" mode), we have the bookmarks file parsed into one of those
circular buffers used by the line editor?  That way, you can arrow up
or down the list, or, if you know which one you want, you can type it
in - maybe by a number, maybe by the first few characters of the name.
If the category you want has a submenu, you'd get a new set of
choices, else it'd get saved right there; and if you wanted a new
submenu item, you could enter the name of the new submenu right there,
possibly prefixed with a "0" to avoid tripping up the matching
function.  In fact, you could probably also redefing the action of the
"v" key with a SINGLE_LINE_BOOKMARK_SELECT mode that would work
similarly - but that might be overkill.

--
.    iksrokS retlaW<>Walter Skorski    ..        address@hidden         .
 Computer Administrator, Div. of Medical Genetics, Thomas Jefferson University

;