Re: LYNX-DEV Optimizing relative URLs

From: Rob Partington
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Optimizing relative URLs
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 15:30:26 +0000 (GMT)

> From: Al Gilman <address@hidden>
> Subject: LYNX-DEV Optimizing relative URLs
>
> Lately I have been following the lynx-dev discussion by browsing
> the archive.  When you spend that much time wandering around one
> weakly-served site, you notice things.  Like the time spent
> repeating name lookup each time you move between pages at the
> same site.

The repeated name lookup should be minimal if the nameserver you're
accessing is configured correctly.  If not, complain vehemently -
caching nameservers are a Good Thing(tm).

[snip]

> This suggest two possible avenues of optimization:
>
>       Rob could use IP-number URLs in the root page at

I'm against using hard coded IP numbers though...

>       Lynx itself could cache the IP number form of host-path
>       as part of BASE when known, and use it in the construction

The nameserver you access already does this (or at least it should if it's
configured correctly).  Using direct IP's is a Bad Thing(tm) because it
can easily break, and it can break other things (if you look up a name using
a caching nameserver, then anyone else who looks within the cache expiry
time will get the name from the cache - same as a caching WWW proxy).

[For example: we recently moved our network onto a different class C -
 we've got about five phone calls complaining that people can't get onto
 their websites because they're using IP numbers instead of names. <sigh>]
--
Rob Partington / address@hidden / address@hidden
;