Re: LYNX-DEV UL Block with plain

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV UL Block with plain
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 15:01:35 -0500 (EST)

>Version: Lynx/2.6  libwww-FM/2.14 with no patch
>
><ul>
><li>line1 ...            + line1
>    line2                  line2
></ul>
>
><ul plain>
><li>line1 ...            line1
>    line2                  line2
></ul>
>
>(note that line1 is long enough to be wraped as line2)
>
>Is this an expected behaviour? I've checked the 'user guide' it does not
>tell anything about 'starts two chars left when you use PLAIN attribute'.
>
>I would expect an aligned text starting at the column where bullet would
>be put if there was no PLAIN attribute. I know that this is not a text
>editor :-), but when you use PLAIN, at least aligned text has to
>displayed. Or am I missing something? (which RFC I have to check or which
>part of the code has to be checked/changed?)

        I don't follow your illustration, but from your verbal description
you are seeing what is intended, i.e. that the bullet is omitted but the
first line of actual text in the LI starts in the same place it would have
with a bullet (defined via the "first line indent" in the stylesheet, and
and subsequent lines of the same LI start at the "second line indent"
setting.  In effect, the "bullet" for PLAIN is &nbsp;

        There is nothing in RFCs which describes how lists should be
displayed.  A client need not use indentation at all (and the W3C
linemode browser, for example, doesn't).

        Lynx has six stylesheets for UL, which are invoked for progressively
nested ULs, with progressively greater first and second line indents
defined.

                                Fote