Re: LYNX-DEV update status

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV update status
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 16:21:19 -0500 (EST)

Klaus Weide <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Wed, 6 Nov 1996, Foteos Macrides wrote:
>
>> [about the DIRED fixes]
>>
>>      Klaus' mods look good, except that when the list is created,
>> a function for freeing everything is needed, and should be passed
>> to an atexit().  Look at any of the other list creations as models.
>
>I did that by adding
>
>  #ifdef DIRED_SUPPORT
>      clear_tags();
>  #endif
>
>in free_mainloop_variables(), rather than an extra atexit().  The
>clear_tags() function from LYLocal.c empties the list and then FREE()s
>it.  It doesn't use the same commands, but should be functionally
>equivalent to e.g. HTGotoURLs_free().
>
>  There is an unnecessary `if (HTList_isEmpty(tagged))' in my
>clear_tags(), but that should always evaluate to TRUE since the preceding
>`while(...)' has just emptied the list.
>
>  So everything that's needed for freeing the list at exit should be
>already in the patch, unless I have overlooked something.

        I had only eyeballed the patch, and missed that, but it seems
fine to me.  The way to find out is to build a -DLY_FIND_LEAKS version.
Garrett did a really nice job on that.  It's in effect a "purify" for
any flavor of Unix, and for VMS.

>  Fote you don't seem to mind my addition of a HTUnEscape_some() function
>to HTParse.c.  It seemed like a useful function in general, so I put it
>there [another case of the Library code becoming Lynxified..], but I don't
>know whether it's really needed in any of the places where I call it.
>I just couldn't figure out whether whoever put the original HTUnEscape()'s
>there had some reason for it that have to do with slash wizardry, so
>I was cautious not to change too much.

        It's probably a good idea to take it one step at a time, but
somebody on Unix really should start taking the steps to update the
DIRED_SUPPORT and make it all more coherent.  It has all kinds of
things from different stages of Lynx evolution, which do seem to work,
but need to be made more coherent and "maintainable".

        I looked at what would be involved in making the ftp gateway
RFC 1738 complient for Unix and Unix-like ftp servers, and it shouldn't
be too hard in the HTFTP.c code, per se, but then I got lost in the
HTFile.c stuff that's used both for the gateway and Unix file URLs, with
no way to predict what the consequences would be for that.

                                Fote