Re: LYNX-DEV suspending lynx

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV suspending lynx
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 17:42:56 -0800

Please explain about "Control-Z on Unix can cause aberrant behavior.".

I have NEVER in the last ten years had anything go wrong with ^Z.  Please,
what CAN go wrong?

I rely on it so much that I can't imagine a machine being usable without
it.  And using "!" is such a loss, if what you want is an INTERACTIVE shell.

I mean, it has to read in the .profile, etc.  Then, unless you have
csh set up as standard, you then have to run csh, and read in its
 dot file, and all the files it sources, and set up (my) 250 aliases,
etc, etc, etc.  And (maybe worst of all) no "history list" from the
prior things you have done.  Just AWFUL.

On my local machine I usually keep four five fg-able processes around
(instead of using separate cde windows, requiring reaching for the stupid
rat -- this way is much faster, just typing eg "fg3"
, aliased to "fg %3")
(Or fgl for "fg lynx").

And here on netcom.com, via sunos, I usually keep a trn and a lynx sitting
there, eg when running mail.

(I used "fork" I think it was called on "twenex",
years and years and years ago.  Same thing.)

Anyway, just my opinion -- unusable without ^z.
;
;