Re: LYNX-DEV downloading docs to local directory

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV downloading docs to local directory
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 18:31:24 -0800

The program FTP has a command, "LCD", meaning "LOCAL change directory", which
changes the "default" for where to write-files-to.

The (sun?  bsd?) program TIP (which I use to connect/dialin to netcom.com)
has a similar command (via tilde-excape).

Such a command would be VERY useful in lynx, since if I want
to download a bunch of files from one www-site, and another
bunch from another site -- often the names are similar (readme, for
instance).  Having to type in pathname each time to different
directory is a pain and also easily forgotten.

AND, if ever "traversal" is made in INTERACTIVE command (and I sure
hope it will be, so I can browse ("surf") and find a site ("realm")
I want to get the WHOLE document for, and then keep surfing and
find some OTHER document (in pieces) elsewhere, I can download
that too, right then, into a DIFFERENT directory (via ^Z, mkdir foo,
fg, then LCD ~/foo, then traversal-download from THAT site into
this NEW directory, ..., etc) --

much better than having to run fresh lynx with super-humongous-long path name
that I cannot type in correctly (ever!), etc.

Anyway, you can see use of LCD command.

;
;