Re: LYNX-DEV A plea for Lynx friendliness (fwd)

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV A plea for Lynx friendliness (fwd)
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 09:59:54 -0500 (EST)

Jason,

That's nice and upbeat.

There is a missing theme here, though.  The highly-touted Web
coverage of the recent U.S. elections illustrates this theme.
The Web coverage was pretty much of a bust.  We had a small party
with both the TV and computer moved to the living room for "media
wars."  I expected more of a contest.  But the Web coverage was
slow in making information available: we usually had heard it on
the Toob before finding it on the Web.

I remain convinced that if _any_ of the major news organizations
had had one Lynx-using tester that they listened to, they would
have had a WebSite that gave the Network News a run for its money
in entertainment and information value.  But these sites are
being designed by Television people, and they position the
offering too close to television content to produce something
attractive.  This is a hard lesson that HotWired learned the hard
way, but long ago by now (in WebTime).

The edge in attractiveness of Web over Toob is not in graphics and
animation.  It is in how you can put the individual in control and
help them navigate to the information they want.  Your Canadian
Discovery Channel TV friends should learn from the sad experience
of PoliticsNOW and friends, and put a Lynx-driver on staff as a
tester and design advisor for their WebOfferings.  They will wind
up with a more competitive product -- even as browsed with those
desktop Blondes.

Al Gilman
;
;