Re: LYNX-DEV why not use shift-V to access multiple bookmarks list?

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV why not use shift-V to access multiple bookmarks list?
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 14:53:28 -0500 (EST)

  From: address@hidden (Larry W. Virden, x2487)

  Well, no changes we make now will help those folk whom are
  'stuck' with sysadm's who refuse to update and
  who have no disk space to compile their own.

This is probably the most telling point.  On top of the fact that it
could run into lots of code [I don't know about that yet].

An html-to-html transformer installed as a publicly available page broker
(the way Brian Exelbierd put up his table whacker) is more likely to make
the adaptation tricks available to the widest number of users.

  Since we are dealing with unpaid volunteers, we must in the end be satisfied
  with whatever features or implementations that they are willing to implement.

Yes, I think this deserves constituting a new pool of (not
necessarily all new) volunteers for an elbow's-length cooperating
project.

  To date, no one has stepped forward to make _any_ changes specifically
  to make lynx more speech compatible.  It might be more likely to find
  someone to pay for everyone who needs their speech generator updated!

Fote has repeatedly made small changes that made Lynx more useful
by blind users where the change was something he could see how to
do without major detriment to the general user.  There is good
history of -- what did the political pundit say was going to
replace the Republican Revolution of '94 -- "Bold
Incrementalism"...

Gregory has given us a very good start on a spec for the
accessible reduced-HTML page through his rewritten search pages.

I think that material benefits can be gained from a variety of
approaches:

        - doing a better job of teaching the speech user how to
        configure and use his/her speech system.  This is not
        so much a matter of changing Lynx as communicating how
        Lynx works and translating it into adaptation files for
        COMMO etc.  This project should be a blind community
        initiative which lynx-dev supports with answers to
        questions.

        - a page whacker.  this is a possible new project that requires
        a mix of blind and sighted, users and programmers.
        It is too far off-center from the lynx-dev mission to
        be the first order of business here, but as I say, the
        relationship between the two is not as distant as
        "arm's length."

        If we had a working Perl page whacker, we might then be
        able to see how to add its behavior as an option to Lynx.
        I don't think that doing this function "inline" in the
        ongoing portable-C maintenance of Lynx is a good way to
        experiment with the transform.

Al Gilman

;
;