Re: LYNX-DEV Re: reorganizing the lynx-archive

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: reorganizing the lynx-archive
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 12:26:21 -0800

More on same (reorganizing the archive):

Also, people like me who submit ONE email with THREE (say)
subjects discussed, must be convinced to submit three
SEPARATE emails (which will make them think, are each
of these really important enough to submit and subject
each group-mbr to).

QUESTION: "TRN" turns each thread, somehow, into a branching
tree.  On what basis does it decide on starting a new
branch (sub-thread).  Is it just the subject line?

QUESTION: would it be worthwhile to have SUB-subjects
down WITHIN the email (like in a book: chapters, sections,
etc), and maybe someone (not me) hack hypermail (or trn!!!)
to make it work with this?

OR: how about this idea:
For producing manuals, letters, etc, I use the old CMU program
"Scribe" (greatly enhanced by people who took it over
from Brian Reid), which has a nifty "index" facility,
to create the back-of-the-book index.

(Other such programs have similar facilities).

So, in Scribe you can create your own macros, eg @myIndex(word, description),
to use like this:
  This is done by foo, a neat program.
becomes
  This is done by @myIndex(word="foo", description="Here we mean the
     foo PROGRAM, not the foo ATTRIBUTE."), a neat program.

Stupid example.  Anyway, the "foo"-listing in the index will
have that description stuck out to its right, followed by
the page numbers it appears on.

QUESTION: does the above concept lead to any IDEAS about
how FUTURE email could be structured (it is too late probably
for the EXISTING stuff -- way too much to do)?

===

Certainly, a key-word would be "ddoc" (developer-doc) and "udoc"
(user-doc) and "doc" (for all?).  eg RE: udoc: blah blah.

Just some ideas to toss into the brain...

;
;