Re: LYNX-DEV TELNET!

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV TELNET!
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 21:03:45 -0500 (EST)

  From: address@hidden
  To: address@hidden
  Subject: LYNX-DEV TELNET!

Welcome!  Congratulations to Rob on the first post from the new
mailto on the home page to the list.

  HELLO! I tries to connect to a telnet site but get this Port
  Spesifacation disabled
  (Sorry about the spelling).
  I took off the number at the end and then got dissconected by remote host.
  What does this mean?

The system at the remote end wants you to telnet to a non-standard
port.  The "port specification disabled" message sounds like a
freenet security modification to Lynx -- you may have to ask your
system maintainers at LiberTel .  In any case, the local system
is not letting you redirect your telnet to an arbitrary remote
port, and the remote system is not accepting telnets on the standard
port [all my best guess].

  I tried other ftp sites and got the Spesifacation disabled error but when
  I took it off it asked for a login named and password. It did not work...
  I also tried it as guest!

These remote sites don't necessarily offer guest logins.

  BYE!

Look over the suggestions for problem reporting at the Lynx Enhanced
Pages.  We could tell more of what is going on if we had the URL
you tried, for example.

Al Gilman

;
;