Re: LYNX-DEV lynx display options

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx display options
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 12:09:00 -0500 (EST)

  From: address@hidden
  Subject: LYNX-DEV lynx display options

Trevor,

We'll try to help.  I am taking your paragraphs out of order
because I want to talk in the order of things you should do.

  I also get a lot of garbage characters on my screen as well. I
  use vt100 terminal emulation, so I'm not sure why this is so. My
  suspicion is that it is related to the "big star" problem.

This sounds like the new shell is not picking up the information
that you want to be a VT-100.  This is common on system upgrades
and particularly major changes in operating system.  All the
"adaptation data" like your .login and .cshrc file gets lost or
has to be adjusted for minor changes in terminology under the
new system.  If you are getting lots of garbage characters and
you haven't changed anything at your end of the phone, then it is
probably some incidental damage at the ISP end of the phone.
They are under a lot of pressure, but I think that this symptom
is something that they would be likely to understand to be their
problem.

Mostly I don't want you to go messing around with the Lynx setup
yet if in fact this is the problem.

  I'm not sure if I'm using the correct terminology, but after a
  major system crash my ISP had to reinstall lynx on a new shell,
  which finally prompted them to upgrade to 2-5 (why not 2-6 i
  don't know).

  I am blind and I use voice output to read the screen. The way the
  new lynx is installed or configured it displays links (and some
  other text) surround by a symbol my voice software pronounces as
  a "big star". Now, the previous version didn't do this. I don't
  know how it displayed links (I number them), but it didn't have
  the "big stars" around them.

There is some chance that the BigStar is how you Terminal
Emulator represents an escape sequence that is new in Lynx 2.5.
There are ways to compile 2.5 to support color and that could be
the difference.  But given the fact that there seems to be
something more fundamental broken in how your ISP's operating
system addresses your virtual terminal, I would try to fix
the garbage characters problem first as the BigStar may be
garbage and not what Lynx sent at all.

In the mean time, you should be a good detective and start
gathering more detailed evidence.  What make and model of speech
software and terminal emulation do you use?  Can you find out
from the terminal software what it translates to "big star"?
What is the new OS at your ISP?  If it is Unix, try "uname -a"
and if it answers, include the answer.

  My system admin isn't always very helpful, and lynx ranks very
  low on his priorities, so I would like to be able to tell him
  exactly what to do to get lynx working so that it is usable to
  me. I'd appreciate any help in what to do to get rid of these
  "big stars". If it is possible to do with a command line switch
  or the lynx.cfg file, than all the better, as I can use that
  until lynx is configured properly.

Yes, the more we can do to focus our communications with your
SysOps, the more helpful they will be.  But do ask them to
describe for us how they compiled Lynx, particularly did they use
the native curses packages of the operating system, ncurses, or
slang as the terminal handling package?

I think that between the configurability of Lynx and the
configurability of your speech software, we can work this out,
_if_ we get the basic terminal-communication connection out of
the new shell solid.

  Again, any help is appreciated. I am not subscribed to this list,
  so direct replies or CC's are further appreciated.

Well, the archive is broken right now, so people should be careful
to cc: you on posts that affect this case.

  Thanks in advance for any help, and for providing an excellent
  web browser.

Be patient and persistent.  We'll be here.

Al Gilman
;
;