LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx updates

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx updates
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 1996 16:54:35 -0500 (EST)

"Hiram Lester, Jr." <address@hidden> wrote to me an Rob instead of
 lynx_dev:
>On Wed, 6 Nov 1996, Foteos Macrides wrote:
>
>>      When you get to it this weekend, just discard the stuff I had
>> emailed to you and get the mods zip in http://www.wfbr.edu/dir/lynx
>> with my suggestions for the Composite as of whenever you get it.  Note
>> at this point it includes everthing that's been posted or set up as
>> links at NYU, except the old patches for lynx2-5[FM], Klaus' substantive
>> DIRED_SUPPORT mods, the Multibookmark stuff, and the actual SSL hooks
>> (nor patch 11, mouse stuff, and color/style "new development" stuff).
>
>Ok, done.  It's all in there.  I went over what I could understand and saw
>what you did and did not incorporate.  You incorporated the patches to
>HTMIME.c, but then had the patched file in there as HTMime.c, so I fixed
>that. (Can't blame that one on Majordomo, eh? <wink>)

        Ugh, it was that ftp daemon!!!  I ftp them to a Unix box for
zipping, so the mixed casing will be preserved (which is ignored on
VMS).

>                                                       I didn't bother to
>put that one in the CHANGES file since I figure most people will be
>grabbing the file from my site...
>
>Rob, I'm sending this to you to let you know that the new stuff is there
>so you can work it into your code set.
>
>>      Klaus' mods look good, except that when the list is created,
>> a function for freeing everything is needed, and should be passed
>> to an atexit().  Look at any of the other list creations as models.
>
>Ok, after yours and Klaus' discussion on the list about him doing
>something equivalent, should this go in? (I saw you included one thing
>about nlinks in your mods.)  I never use DIRED and know next to nothing
>about it... :(

        The nlinks fix is an old, obvious patch.  I'm not in a position
to excercise the more extensive DIRED_SUPPORT mods on and adequate range
of flavors, so it should be kept up by Klaus until more people have tried
it and it appears OK for the bug-fix and obviously OK replacement file
sets.  Has anybody tried it?

        I brought my lynx2-6mods.zip in register with the Nov 8, 1996
Composite, and added some stuff today, but you need not rush to include
that in the Composite too:

11-09-96
* Treat 301 or 302 redirection of a POST as 303 when the Lynx process is
  non-interactive, rather than rejecting the redirection, since 303 is
  still most likely what the CGI scripts actually intends (will still
  prompt if the process is interactive). - FM
* Added parsing and trace mode reporting of Content-Disposition headers
  in HTMIME.c (should be used, someday, to set the suggested file name
  for disk saves and downloads based on any filename=foo.blah field). - FM
* Further mods of HTNews.c to facilitate use of Lynx without SSL-hooks
  in conjunction with an SSL-capable daemon/proxy for snews URLs that
  returns NNTP streams for Lynx itself to convert into HTML, instead
  of already converted streams as from a standard proxy. - TZ & FM

                                Fote