Re: LYNX-DEV Re: reorganizing the lynx-archive

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: reorganizing the lynx-archive
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 06:31:58 -0800

RE: Fote's + Al Gilman's emails on finding some place to
put the archive.

Maybe we can keep it at ukans --

  IF we all chip in and buy them another disk drive.

A 5 or 10 gig drive costs what, $1000 or so.

That list of "thanks to Fote" has some 250 people on it,
someone said yesterday.  If we each contribute $10, and
only 1/2.5 fraction contribute, we have a disk drive for
them.

What with everyone and everything downsizing (except disk
drive sizes), and money being so scarce, maybe this
gift would make ukans think a whole lot better of us.

Besides, this archive is mostly just sitting there, the
most access to it being adding a few (ha!) lynx emails
to it each day, so it is really no big drain on them.

(Of course, the "lynx enhanced pages" IS a drain, since
it is looked at each time someone fires up lynx.  I don't
know what to do about that -- except to tell people
to use their bookmark file as their "start file".)

One idea there would be to automatically download to the
user the current enhanced-pages (HORRIBLE NAME), one of
the entries of which says:
   Hit here for up-to-date news about lynx

The help files don't change between versions, and so they
could be also downloaded and used, instead of referring
to wherever (oops -- maybe they are compiled in?)

Anyway, about the lynx-enhanced pages, it could have
a version number in it, and when a newer version of
lynx sees it, it could download a newer one.

All this to keep the load off a donated-to-lynx-usage
set of computer resources.
;
;